Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pizza Stew

Hold on to your hats, this is a great recipe.
You need:
 1-lb mild Italian sausage
1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1-14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 lb. sliced cremini mushrooms
1 teaspoon Tuscan blend herbs (or a mixture of dried oregano, thyme and basil)
1 7 oz pkg. dry tortellini
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

In a non-stick fry pan, cook the Italian sausage until it's no longer pink Add the sliced mushrooms and saute together. Once the mushrooms are a little soft, remove from pan into a crock pot. With the meat and mushrooms in the crockpot, add the can of crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes and the herbs. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. Add the dry tortellini and mix well. Cook 1 more hours. When you're almost ready to eat, add the shredded mozzarella, mix through and serve when melted.
I also did this in a pot on my stove. I have an awesome simmer burner that actually simmers on low. Often use it instead of a crockpot.

It tastes like pizza. What can I say! It's very thick and my whole family devours it. Never any leftovers. Darn. That's what I count on for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment