Monday, April 23, 2012

Weather, the garden, food & drink-a little quilting

We've had three weekends in a row with sunny, warm weather here in the Northwest. I live outside of Seattle. I've literally been basking in the sun. Originating from Hawaii, this weather is a big deal. I love it! Been in the garden and outside. It refreshes you. It makes you realize how much you have, how wonderful Mother Nature is. The warmth is so welcome. Mostly because we've been getting together with companies that sell and install furnaces. We've had a cold winter, not so much weatherwise, but in my house. Feeling warmth is almost a luxury. Now, once a new furnace is in, warmth will become the norm. Can hardly wait. New insulation is going in too.
Sewing some new log cabin blocks were part of a lesson taught at my little quilting neighborhood group. I chose white and blue for the logs and of course, a red center. I was thinking of the 4th of July.  The borders will be red and the binding. Backing--either the blue or white. I'll post a photo and if anyone wants instructions or lessons, I can do that, too.
New dishes this last weekend including the Cajun Coleslaw. The sauce was made with a 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, 1/4 cup of red pepper jelly(I used my own and, when I go to make another batch, I'll include the recipe), 3 T Creole mustard, salt and pepper. I made the Creole mustard but using 3 T Dijon mustard, 1 T worcestershire sauce, 5 drops of Frank's Red Pepper Sauce. It worked. Everyone gobbled down the coleslaw. I also served Buttered Potatoes. Very easy to make. Peel and slice potatoes into thick slices. Boil enough water to cover. Once fork tender, mix with salted butter to cover the slices, add salt and pepper. Quick and easy.
A wonderful, refreshing drink now that it is spring and strawberries are cheap and plentiful, grind up 2 cups of sliced strawberries in the food processor. In a 2 quart pitcher, dissolve a bucket of Crystal Light's Pink Lemonade with just enough water to dissolve it. Add the strawberries slush you just made, and add enough water to fill the pitcher. I also have done this with sparkling water. Makes it fancier. Or, you can mix this with some Prosecco. I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment