Sunday, October 5, 2014

Pumpkin PIe on my mind

Fall brings colors that just make me say, "wow!" The deep burnt oranges, flaming reds, all shades of yellow and the evening crisp air signal this season's change. It's happened suddenly here. Summer didn't want to leave.  Fall sounds always include the furnace coming on each morning. I search for my flannel shirts and long-sleeved t-shirts, and of course, my favorite sweater. Slowly I let go of summer's grip on me. I love the fall, but why the hesitation? Perhaps it's because of the changes my family has had to deal with. We didn't really enjoy summer. It's always been a fun time of the year, sharing camping trips and cookouts with each other and friends. Cancer paid a visit and it won't go away. We're dealing with it. It has made me savor what's around me. I noticed certain things more. We look forward to each day. We love each day. Now, Mother Nature is saying, "look what I've brought you - gorgeous colors, the smell of wood burning, and pumpkins."

 I was out shopping and saw everything pumpkin including lots of the vegetable itself! Bought my first sugar pie pumpkin. Got hungry for pumpkin pie. Kept telling myself, it's too early. I don't want to make the pie.  These are more fun to make. I got this recipe from the Krazy Koupon Lady's blog. So if you're slowly absorbing fall like me and aren't ready for a full bore attack at pie making, try these little darlings. You won't be sorry....

 

Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes

1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup sugar (mixture of stevia and evaporated raw sugar)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup evaporated milk
2/3 cup all purpose flour (I use white whole wheat flour, organic)
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 cup muffin tin with silicone liners, foil liners sprayed with cooking spray or just spray the cups with cooking spray.  Either of these three methods will make it easy to take the cupcake out after it’s cooked. Paper liners make it difficult to remove the cupcakes.
Mix the pumpkin, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and milk.  Add the flour, pumpkin spice, salt, baking powder and baking soda to the mixture. Fill each muffin cup with 1/3 cup of the mixture. Bake for twenty minutes and let cool for twenty minutes.  Remove cupcakes from pan and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle more pumpkin pie spice on top and serve. Makes 12 cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment