Monday, May 11, 2015

Taco Seasoning

How many times have you seen a recipe and were drooling to make it but, it called for a packet of taco seasoning? Well, this has happened too many times in this household, so I set out to experiment with some spice mixtures to get one I loved.
I need to feed a large group tomorrow and thought I would make my famous Taco Soup. It's much more hardy than soup, more like a stew. It requires some taco seasoning. This recipe makes enough for the soup and leaves you enough to use it two more times for ordinary recipes.

Taco Seasoning
4 teaspoons chili powder
3 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Mix together and store in an airtight container.

Taco Soup
1 pound grass-fed ground beef
3 - 15 ounce cans kidney beans
2 Tablespoons taco seasoning mix
2 cups (or 1- 14 ounce can) beef broth, organic

Brown the ground beef until no longer pink. Add to a crock pot. Add beans, taco seasoning, and broth. Mix together. Cover and cook on LOW 6 - 8 hours.

Garnish with:
sour cream, shredded cheese of choice, diced onion, snipped cilantro, chopped tortilla chips.
Simple, hardy stuff. You are invited to add your own take on both the seasoning mix and soup.
Thought I would share that I always add more stuff to this recipe. I chopped a bunch of mini carrots and added one half of a very big green pepper. I didn't have 3 cans of beans so I added a can of diced tomatoes and more beef broth. It still came out a very hearty, thick soup. Have fun with it. It's a winner. It did feed 7 very hungry adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment